Advocacy Support Program Manager
Standpoint has a unique opportunity for a motivated and resourceful advocate. Preference will be given to candidate submissions received by 6/23/17, but the position will remain open until filled.
Background: Standpoint (formerly the Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project) is the premiere legal resource for domestic and sexual violence victims/survivors, as well as those who work with survivors including advocates, attorneys and other system professionals. Standpoint provides direct representation and legal information to survivors of violence. Standpoint also provides extensive training, litigation support and expert legal support to those working with victims of domestic and sexual violence across the state of Minnesota. Standpoint exists to promote justice for, and to respond effectively to the constantly evolving legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims.
Job Description & Responsibilities: Standpoint’s legal advocates provide advocacy over the phone to victims of domestic and sexual violence and their advocates from DV/SA organizations in Minnesota. This advocate has strong interviewing skills and experience in crisis intervention. Knowledge of and experience in providing direct services as a legal advocate within criminal and civil court and Minnesota law are crucial to providing advocates support they are needing when they call in for help with their clients. This advocate also assists with planning, organizing and implementing Standpoint’s New Laws trainings each year in with Executive Director and staff attorneys.
Manage, develop and implement Agency programs that improve the capacity of legal advocates working in community organizations throughout Minnesota.
● Maintain Legal Advocates List-Serve and respond to advocate inquiries
● Survey Minnesota legal advocates annually on emerging issues and trends
● Organize, attend and facilitate meetings of legal advocates in the field
● Develop training and technical assistance resources in response to advocate needs
● Provide on-site technical assistance as necessary
Take the lead in the development and implementation of Standpoint’s annual New Laws training program
● Develop training materials based on self-defined needs of advocates
● Manage logistics of New Laws training sites and host programs
● Participate as a trainer in each session of New Laws annually (6 sessions)
● Coordinate with other staff, and assist in the development of other materials as needed
Serve as an expert resource on the legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims in Minnesota
● Represent the Agency and the needs of advocates on collaborative teams
● Respond to requests for community education on the legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims
● Organize community or collaborative efforts that engage advocates and domestic and sexual violence victims in improving the legal system’s response to domestic and sexual violence
● Answer legal and resource questions from callers to Standpoint’s toll-free hotline
● Maintain the necessary level of expertise in Minnesota law to be an effective resource
Other duties as required, including supervision of Program or Project employees, interns and volunteers.
● Demonstrated knowledge of and expertise in the root causes of violence against women and the dynamics of domestic and sexual violence required.
● At least 5 years of experience providing legal advocacy to domestic and sexual violence victims required. (Preferably in Minnesota) (Unpaid and non-traditional work experience will be considered equivalent to paid employment.)
● At least three years of experience organizing, working with or advocating on behalf of underrepresented women, including rural women
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience in training and public speaking
● At least one year of experience in program or project development and implementation
● Computer literacy
● Applications from members of underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged, including but not limited to: people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, immigrants and people with disabilities.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is $40,000 a year. Health and dental insurance available. Generous vacation, sick and holiday policy.
To apply interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
ATTN: Hiring Committee
1611 Park Ave. South, Suite # 2
Minneapolis, MN 55404